What is 'Freewheelers'?
'Freewheelers' is the MDXSU and Middlesex University free campus cycle hire scheme that will launch in January 2017.
Why should you hire a bicycle?
A recent study showed that any journey that is less than 8 miles in London is quicker and easier to do by bicycle. At Middlesex a lot of you live in the local area, either in private housing in Hendon or in halls of residence and cycling as a great way to get into University. As well as this, it also helps you in the following ways:
- Keeping fit - cycling is a great low-impact exercise that lowers blood pressure, stress levels and has been proved to improve both mental health and the immune system!
- It’s more sustainable - theres no toxic fuel involved in pedal power so it's great for the environment.
- It saves students money - cycling to University could save up to £900 a year!
How do you hire a bicycle?
Since January 2017 bikes have been available to hire out on campus.
There are 12 bicycles located outside MDX House that you are able to take out for a day, or a week! Here's how you can start cycing on campus:
- Check if there are any bikes available in the hire racks.
- Head to the MDXSU Welcome Desk (downstairs in MDX House) to book out a bicycle. You can hire the bicycle for the day, or for a week.
- Agree and sign the Terms and Conditions of the Cycle Loan Scheme.
- Collect the key, check the bicycle is working, enjoy cycling and return it when promised.
- Bicycles are available to hire and return 5 days a week between the hours of 10am and 4pm.
The bicycles will be provided with lights and locks, you will be expected to bring your own helmet before hiring a bike.
The bicycles will be maintained by the local 'Kisharon Bus Stop Bikes' shop as follows:
- A weekly visual inspection
- A monthly service of each bicycle - these will happen on Thursdays and Fridays so bear with us whilst we fix the bikes for you!
- Repairs as and when you let us know that a bicycle needs it.
You can find the terms and conditions of the scheme that you will have to sign here.
All Middlesex students and staff are eligible for a 15% discount in Bus Stop Bikes.