MDXSU is excited to announce that free bicycle hire is now available on campus!
FreeWheelers Bike Hire is open to all students and staff at Middlesex University, with free bicycles available for hire on a daily or weekly basis.
The brand new scheme originated from an idea for change submitted on the MDXSU website by Middlesex student Mounder Soheti in Autumn 2016.
Mounder said that campus bike hire "would not only save [students and staff] a lot of money on their travel costs, but will also cut their carbon footprint and improve their fitness... It will enable students and staff to try commuting on a bike without the expense of buying a bike."
Following the overwhelmingly positive response to Mounder's idea by students, MDXSU Vice President Joe Cox worked on developing the idea in partnership with the university, who were also keen to launch a free bike-hire scheme on campus.
Joe said, “This exciting new initiative will help Middlesex students to connect their campus with home, halls, Allianz Park, the local area and even further afield, providing a free, accessible alternative to public transport or driving.
"Travelling by bike is great for both the environment and your fitness and wellbeing, and we’re so pleased to be able to offer this to students and staff in an affordable way.”
There are currently six bicycles available for hire, with six more available by the end of January.
1. Check there are bikes available in the hire racks (outside MDX House, by the table tennis tables and basketball court).
2. Head to the MDXSU Welcome Desk to book out a bicycle. You can hire the bicycle for the day, or for a week.
3. Agree and sign the Terms and Conditions of the Cycle Loan Scheme.
4. Collect the key, check the bicycle is working, enjoy cycling and return it when promised.
5. Bicycles are available to hire and return 5 days a week between the hours of 10am and 4pm. You will be told when you need to return the bicycle by.
The bicycles will be provided with lights and locks, you will be expected to bring your own helmet before hiring a bike. If you do not currently own a helmet, please note that all MDX staff and students are eligible for a 15% discount at Bus Stop Bikes on Church Road (a few minutes walk from the university).
You can find out more about the FreeWheelers Bike Hire Scheme at www.mdxsu.com/bikehire