READ BSE REPORT RECOMMENDATIONS
Following the findings of the Black Students’ Experiences Research, MDXSU would like to put forward the following list of recommendations to be worked on and implemented, in partnership by MDXSU and the University:
1. Develop a program to support more Black students into further study, further developing the talent pipeline.
2. Set clear benchmarked targets for diversifying leadership roles within the university with dates and monitoring processes agreed.
3. Develop and implement a specific attainment gap strategy which capitalises on the progress made due to COVID-19 and targets an elimination of the Black attainment gap by 2025.
4. Employ a group of permanent staff members that work to support underrepresented communities and provide more equitable opportunities.
5. Provide compulsory cultural awareness and anti-racist training to all University, MSXSU and externally contracted staff.
6. Create a working group to explore options and support available to offer structured improvement and development of Black students’ social capital.
7. Spotlight Black academics and students’ achievements in MDX and MDXSU communications and events throughout the year.
8. Include demographic data breakdowns in data gathering when discussing BAME communities in all University committee papers.
9. Ensure clarity on the process of reporting racism and the sanctions on University’s web pages.
10. Annually report the data of informal and formal racist cases that occur across the University.
11. Collect ethnicity data of students engaging in all support services at the point of entry.
12. Measure and report on the experience, satisfaction, and actions for further improvement for students who engage with the hardship fund, disability support, counselling and mental health, LET, and MDX Works along with timelines for completion of improvements.
13. Establish clarity of objective when decolonising taught courses and standards that all taught courses should meet, with the exception of externally certified courses by PSRBs.
14. A calendar of events with Black speakers, representatives, and alumni for the MDX community to engage in.
15. MDXSU should work with the Black Liberation group to review its structures to ensure there are more spaces and representatives for Black students.
16. MDXSU should include increasing Black representation as a key strategy goal in its upcoming governance review.
17. MDXSU should work with ACS and Black Students Liberation group to diversify their offer to the Black student community.
18. MDXSU should conduct further research into the engagement of Black students in its activities, elections, and representatives to the university.
19. MDXSU should review its welcome materials, its website and other key engagement tools to ensure Black Students are accurately represented.
20. MDXSU should work with other key campus partners such as sport and catering to review the Black students’ experiences of these services.
21. MDXSU should work with MDX to review the impact of this report in 2023 and carry out a follow up study into the Black students’ experiences.