View the Student Groups Funding Guidance & Criteria for 2020/21 here.
Online Financial Processes
Whilst MDXSU staff continue to work remotely, Student Group financial processes will be carried out online. Read on for more information about how this will work.
Student Group Funding Deadlines 2020/21
Most bidding deadlines are on the 3rd Thursday of every month, except for December's deadline which is the 2nd Thursday.
- 17th September 2020
- 15th October 2020
- 19th November 2020
- 10th December 2020
- 21st January 2021
- 18th February 2021
- 18th March 2021
- 15th April 2021
- 20th May 2021 (FINAL DEADLINE)
Expense Claim Forms
Fill out all of the details required on the expense form
Take a scan or photograph of all of the original receipts from your purchase (please keep the original receipts as we may need to collect these once our office re-opens)
Send an email to email@example.com with the expense form, and all of the receipts and evidence attached
This email will then be forwarded to your committee members
A minimum of 2 committee members will need to respond to the email chain to confirm their approval that the amount on the expense form will be paid to the payee from the student group bank account
Their response must state the exact amount and they must reply all to the email chain
The payment will then be made on the next payment date (15th or 30th of the month)
Outgoing Cost Forms
An outgoing costs form would be used if your student group wanted to pay for goods/services via invoice. In this situation, a member of your student group committee would need to have asked for an invoice from the company you are purchasing goods/services from, and submit the invoice to the Student Groups Coordinator by email, along with an outgoing costs form, which should be signed off by two committee members using the above process. Invoices will then be paid within 30 days. When asking a company for an invoice, please ensure the document has the following information on:
- MDXSU details (name and address)
- Contact details of person raising the invoice (e.g. company/artist/speaker)
- Bank details (account name, sort code and account number)
- An invoice number
- The date the invoice was created
- Brief description of the work being charged for
- Amount that is being charged
Student groups should not spend any of their own money before confirming that they have the money in their SU account to be reimbursed (either through income, such as ticket sales, or funding from the SGEC), otherwise they risk being left out of pocket. Student groups should always check they have enough money in their account before making any purchases.
Applying for funding
All student groups can bid for funds from the Student Group Executive Committee (SGEC), for activity and events. In order to access these funds student groups must complete a grant application form, outlining how much money they're asking for and how it'll be spent, then send this form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are monthly funding deadlines during term time (September-May) which will be released to all societies and groups at the beginning of term. The grant application form can only be submitted by student group committee members and must be emailed to email@example.com before the deadline each month. You will recieve the verdict of your bid within a week of the deadline.
Student groups should check their society account balance before bidding for funds, because if funds are already within your account you may not be granted funding from the SGEC. Once the funding deadline has passed, the SGEC will meet online to discuss all bids and an MDXSU staff member will get back to you within 5 working days of the meeting.
The Student Groups Executive Committee can't accept a bid from a society for funds which have already been spent, so make sure your society prepares and submits a funding bid in advance of any activity.
If you're successful in your funding application, you can access the funds in two different ways: via expenses or outgoing costs. You will never have access to cash from the account.
Below are some FAQs about student group finances. You can also contact the Student Groups Coordinator directly with any questions on - firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Group Finance FAQs
What’s my society account number?
- If you don’t know it already, email the Student Groups Coordinator and they’ll let you know. It’s good practice to always refer to it when enquiring about your society’s finances, as it makes finding out information a lot quicker.
Can I spend my own money and then get it back from MDXSU?
- You can only spend your own money and get it reimbursed from MDXSU if you know you have money in your society account. We recommend that you never spend your own money on society activity before checking your society account balance. If you have no funds in your society account, you can bid for funding via the Student Groups Executive Committee. If you spend your own money and don't have funds in your society account, you won't be able to reimbursed.
If I have sent a bid to the Student Groups Executive Committee, can I spend my own money and then get it back from MDXSU?
- We only recommend spending your own money on society activity once the Student Groups Executive Committee have confirmed your bid. If you spend your own money and then the Student Groups Executive Committee decline your bid, you're at risk of being left out of pocket. Please wait until you hear back from the Student Groups Executive Committee before using your own funds to buy goods/services. The Student Groups Executive Committee can't accept a bid from a society for funds which have already been spent, so make sure your society prepares and submits a funding bid in advance of any activity.
How much is in my account?
- Email our Finance Team (email@example.com) referencing your account number and they will give you a society balance.
Why haven’t I been paid?
- There are two payment runs every month, which means if you miss one you may have to wait a further two weeks to be paid. It you contact the Student Groups Coordinator or the Finance Manager, they will be able to tell you when you’ll receive the money.
Can I withdraw cash from my society account?
- No. Funding can only be accessed by reclaiming expenses or paying companies directly via invoice.
What if I need to pay cash in?
- We always recommend using the MDXSU website for ticket sales/membership fees, however if you have cash that needs to be paid into the society account, take the money to the MDXSU welcome desk along with your account number, and a member of staff will assist you.
I have an international bank account, can I still be reimbursed?
- If you’re a student with bank account outside of the UK we will reimburse you by issuing you with a cheque. You’ll just need to fill in a copy of the ‘expense form – international version’, hand it your receipts and we’ll do the rest. You can then have the cheque posted or come collect it from MDXSU.
I've been supplied with an invoice, what do I do with it?
- If you've been supplied with an invoice from a company or person (e.g. a guest speaker, a DJ etc), you'll need to first ensure it has all the correct details on. We've compiled a checklist of what the invoice should have on it, which can be viewed here. If the invoice is OK, you'll need to complete an outgoing costs form and hand this in, along with the invoice, to MDXSU.